Template:Should be PNG/doc
|This is a documentation subpage for Template:Should be PNG.|
It contains usage information, categories and other content that is not part of the original template page.
|If you plan to make breaking changes to this template, move it, or nominate it for deletion, please notify Twinkle's users and maintainers at Wikipedia talk:Twinkle as a courtesy, as this template is used in the standard installation of Twinkle. Thank you!|
This template should be inserted on raster images which are in wrong image formats and therefore have lost quality. For instance:
- Cartoon or screenshots of computer software in JPEG format that are plagued with compression artifacts
- Images in GIF format that have lost their color depth
- Items like logo and computer icons which have completely or partially lost their transparency and/or have a solid border
This template should not be used for:
- Images for which only a JPEG source is available and will not become significantly smaller as a result of a conversion
- Animated GIF images
- Vector images (SVG should be used in this case)
- Size reduction, which is possible through a direct conversion
This template automatically adds images to Category:Images which should be in PNG format.